Who is Susie Hair Hero?

  Ernest Hemingway once said, "The best people possess a feeling for beauty, the courage to take risks, the discipline to tell the truth, the capacity for sacrifice. Ironically, their virtues make them vulnerable: they are often wounded, sometimes destroyed." Words have never felt so familiar, so raw, and so real. I've been a hairdresser for over 10 years. I've never once hated it and each day I learn something new. The clients inspire me, they teach me so much about life and about meaning to this world. Hair Dressing is more than giving people amazing hair, it's about empowering them, and making them see what truly is beautiful about themselves and then matching that to the service of hair.

The first stylist that ever tried to mentor me was a real ice queen, she lacked the nurturing that one needs in order to help people grow and see their full potential. She hurt me and she was the one that really gave me a set of balls. I moved shortly after and started in Stuart, Florida. A small sea side town that was more vanilla than a soft serve at McDonalds. Pure, plain and white.

 I started out hungry, confused and tossed into a small town that didn't like growth. I was 24 and married and I didn't know a single soul. The first salon I stumbled to was ran by a man who thought he was the next best thing next to Owen Wilson, but really he just looked like the trash that sold him weed on the DL.

The salon failed after he went to jail, don't ask it's not even that great, then again in true Florida Man fashion, this man led police on a wild goose chase with a fucking golf cart.

My next salon didn't like growth, it liked smooth sailing, and trust me I heard the song Sailing by Christopher Cross more than I heard my blow dryer going off, it was so slow and so boring and it was taking me passion for hair and making it into dust. I was so bored and so mad that it took me 4 years to finally say, BYE FELICIA!!!

The last salon was the last straw, I was held down by the mighty thumb, my emotions were played with by the pride of lions that ran that place, I was merely prey while they toyed with me and my clients. It was there that I began to use Social Media to connect with clients and with people to help grow my book, my career, my salon and now my soul.

A soul stylist is a person like me, who does hair with all her heart, all her skill set, and all her soul to make me people look but mostly feel good about themselves. I am trained in the art of pampering and polishing.

Susie Hair Hero turned from a lost soul looking for a home to a Soul Stylist that created a beautiful space to allow people the luxury of feeling good about who they are. My culture and my creed blend together to create a flow of art, hair, and soul.

It sounds so fake but I promise you it took a lot of courage to be able to put that on paper, or print, or whatever this media platform is. I promise that no matter who you are or what you do, if you can't put your soul into it, you can't own it and you definitely can't make it.

It took me a long time to find this to be who I was at what my purpose was but this is it, it's in the soul work. I am ready to heal and help others heal in the process. Create an Cultivate, a world in which we lead by optimism and love.

Comments